Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Avada kedavra, unfortunately

Tomorrow begins the most important Muggle holiday in recent memory. With the release of the fifth film in the Harry Potter franchise set for midnight tonight, the ten-day countdown to THE END begins.

On July 21 "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" goes on sale worldwide; if you haven't heard any buzz about it yet, take your eyes away from your new iPhone and start surfing the web (which, if you must, you can do on that "phone" as well).

For many years I was embarrassed to admit that I read Harry Potter books. When I picked up the first novel, the fate of Mr. Potter was still years away. Five years, a handful of movies, and two books later, and here I am anxiously awaiting the release of the seventh and final adventure of the Boy-Who-Lived.

The next ten days couldn't come faster.

Harry Potter fans rejoice. There will never be another week and a half like this. "Order of the Phoenix" tickets in hand, I'll begin my countdown tomorrow evening here in Iowa City. Over the next several days, only time will tell.

What I can say is this: There will be countless debates and arguments regarding whether Harry should live or die--and he should die, I recommend, to solidify his place as one of literature's most memorable characters.

The previous four films will be viewed, and then viewed again; the newest soundtrack will be a fixture on my iPod's play list (it was released today, just in case you didn't hear); and the previous six books will be skimmed for clues of what may yet come.

But here's what won't happen: There will be no viewing spoiler websites hell-bent on ruining my fun. Why wait years for the conclusion only to have it ruined by somebody who doesn't care enough to keep the ending to themselves?

Too bad the release of books wasn't always this popular.

No comments: