Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oh God, here come the Creationists

I've been reading A.J. Jacobs' new book "The Year of Living Biblically" where the Esquire editor attempts to follow the Bible as literally as possible for an entire year. I love the idea, but I can't help shuttering at the thought of trying it myself. The book is chock-full of funny moments on the subway, "stoning" adulterers in the park, and responding to the obligatory Unabomber references (if you saw his beard, you'd understand). But what interests me most is, among other things, his battle with the ideas of creationism.

I remember a conversation I had with a family friend some years ago; I was probably in my early teens then. While discussing the evolution v. creationism issue, he said it was silly to think that an explosion (The Big Bang) could create a universe. "When's the last time you saw a bomb do that?" he asked me. At the time, I was stumped.

I'm now befuddled by the claims creationism sets forth. In his book, Jacobs documents his journey to a creationism museum in northern Kentucky. It's a beautiful building, Jacobs says, and after visiting the website, I agree. Somehow, though, this museum doesn't appeal to me. Dinosaurs and man living together--in peace? Or claims that "dragons" were actually dinosaurs that existed into the Middle Ages?

And you're telling me an explosion can't create a universe?

Nothing against creationism, but it all sounds a little far-fetched to me. How can somebody accept the "fact" that man and beast co-existed peacefully but a series of explosions in space couldn't begin the process that would eventually lead to our planet being formed?

So here's what I'm thinking: Yeah, evolution doesn't make complete sense (just enroll in Human Origins here at the UI and see the leaps of faith involved in accepting it), but the utter lack of reason in creationism just doesn't cut it for me. Or scientists.

But believe what you want. Me, I just believe you're kind of crazy.

No comments: