Saturday, September 27, 2008

Multi-Task McCain

Maybe I'm alone in my opinion here, but regarding McCain's campaign suspension: I think it would be in the best interests of our country to elect a leader who is able to deal with many issues at once rather than only being able to focus (or at least choosing to focus) on one issue. The declining economy is a huge issue right now. But is it the only issue worth attending to? I hope not.

What about the war? In my book, that's a pretty huge issue. Or what about the failing health care system in this country that has been in shambles and lacking a solution for the past X number of years. And what about the countless people our government has been denying equal rights since forever it seems: racial minorities, the mentally disabled, the mentally ill, gay and lesbian couples who still can't legally marry, and all the other people who don't fit perfectly into society's little box of normalcy? To me, this is the issue.

Now, I can't say that either candidate will solve these issues. Hell, maybe both candidates are full of political air. But I do know that putting one issue on a pedestal while stacking all the other issues in the "to-do later" pile is counterproductive and goes against the needs of this country. We've been caught with our pants down before, and the fact that we are a global superpower doesn't excuse us from being caught exposed again.

No comments: