Friday, April 7, 2006

Death, life, memory

by John Heineman, DI columnist


I don't know how to comprehend death. To me, it is so blunt, so empty, and so awkward. I struggle to wonder why someone who had so many dreams and such great potential was taken away from us over spring break. I am referring to Brooke Walton, who I only had the pleasure to know for the past three months in two of my seminars. Yet, because of the stimulating conversations in both classes, I was able understand what she thought of this world - even more than I understand some of my good acquaintances.

Consequently, I welcome all of you who are asking the same questions to join Brooke's family and friends for a celebration of her life, which will be held on April 10 at 7 p.m. in the commons on the third floor of the Blank Honors Center. The program will include speakers (both students and staff) from the Belin-Blank Center, the Mock Trial team, and Residence Services. There will also be music, a slide show, and a dessert reception following in the sixth-floor conference room.

Life is too precious to live without meaning, and I'm glad Brooke understood.

No comments: