Wednesday, January 30, 2008

When you assume...

Sitting in Comparative Politics last Thursday, the discussion turned to the current election. One kid ranted and preached fire and brimstone about Hillary being Christ reincarnate, most everyone else shook their heads and agreed she couldn't/shouldn't win.

Then a tall, gangly redneck kid opened his dumb mouth, mumbling that he couldn't vote for any woman. "What happens when she gets her period."

I wanted so badly to stand up and shove my $89 textbook up his ass, sideways, with the book open. It likely would have been the only time this semester I would have gotten $89 worth of use out of the thing.

Instead, I simply told him he was an idiot.

Can we get something perfectly clear? My sexist hayseed classmate is just as wrong as the "feminist" who votes for Hillary for equally cloudy but opposite reasoning.

Don't assume that Hillary is the feminist candidate simply because she has a vagina. Just as stupid would be casting a vote for Barack as the minority-issues candidate simply because he is black. Look at the issues. Educate yourself. I know it's tough, sitting on your ass and typing some words into Google, then straining to use your index finger and scrolling through the information, but you'll be better for it. And if you vote based on that information the nation will be better for it.

4 comments:

Jon Gold said...

Actually, I believe Kant's A Critique of Pure Reason is the preferred text for that.

Nate said...

Yeah, that may be, but the Beijing phone book would be ideal. All four volumes. At once. No lube.

Kathleen said...

So... what does happen when she gets her period?

What a cliffhanger that blog was. I just can't figure it out.

Jon Gold said...

Well, I don't want to lightly toss around possible headlines like "82nd Airborne occupies D.C.-area Talbot's," but...

Actually, is it Talbot's I'm thinking of? Anywhere where they sell those pantsuits she's so keen on.