Thursday, November 27, 2008

Christmas Too Early? No Such Thing...

I love Christmas music. I love Christmas music so much that I see no problem with listening to Christmas music BEFORE Thanksgiving!

I recall driving through Iowa City one morning listening to a mix CD (I think it was like Sum 41 or something, go figure) and I happened to stumble across Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You." I'm not quite sure what it was doing on my Sum 41 CD, but even though it was June, you can bet I cranked that shit up and started singing along! I'm sure the family sitting in the mini van next to me with their windows also down (it was pretty hot that day) probably thought I was delusional or something, but I didn't care. I refuse to keep my love for Christmas music a secret!

That being said, if you don't like Christmas music, tune your radio to the polka station or something and shut the hell up! If you really feel that listening to Christmas music before the holidays is like fingernails on a chalkboard, don't listen to it. But please don't spoil it for those of us who do.

Maybe I'm brainwashed. But I seriously don't think that listening to "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or listening to Bing Crosby croon out "White Christmas" is going to make me go camp out in front of Best Buy on Thanksgiving night to beat down small children and elderly women in walkers at 4 AM on Black Friday, just so I can buy my theater-sized flat screen TV.

Christmas only comes one a year, and with Christmas comes the Christmas music. Don't be a Scrooge. Quit complaining and let me enjoy my Christmas music.

No comments: