Monday, January 12, 2009

The Aluminum Butterfly

Elements of this article on Bush’s last news conference have brought something to mind. You know what? I like the guy. I think he’s got a charm and amiability that are only highlighted by his utter lack of self-observation and sense of tact. He’s our very own Imelda Marcos, and I’d sure as shit like to have a few cocktails with that mad harpy. Government figure? Commander in Chief? Large-scale decision-maker of any kind? No, no no no, no. Beer-buddy? Guy to waste time with, bullshit with, get cross-eyed drunk and blurt out all those dumb things we blurt out when we’re cross-eyed with? Hells yeah. I can’t help it, I think he’s an alright dude.

Is he a good man? That’s a question well worth the complex discussion it demands. But that is a very different question.

No comments: