Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Note On My Writing Style

New commenter "Iowa" responded to my post "Chicken Taco Has Beef With Me" with the following:
Congrats to taco for rubbing Chris's rubarb the wrong way enough that he actually took the time to post this.

Holy Schnikes Chris, how immature are you? Are you now gonna cry to mommy? Way to abuse this form Einstein. Go ahead, respond, you always do. I never thought I'd say this, but you and Bill O'Reilly have A LOT incommon.

Taco, email me at

iowaindependent542@gmail.com

I may have some work for you (seriously, it's a real offer) are you appear astute at challenging some of the odd conjectures Chris makes. However taco if you want Chris to go away I recommend you just ignore him from here on out, just don't comment on his nonsense, only on his worthwhile articles (which for the record Chris absolutely exist, there are some things you write that are decent quality). Or if you want Chris to go away just don't comment on his stuff.

Best to all, I got a football game to watch. Always have fun debating.

I really do need to more carefully explain my intent sometimes. I'm not in any way actually angry with "taco." I've been very much entertained by the lively exchange we've been having. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it.

This whole blog (and most of what I write) is a giant free-form experiment in new media. I generally mean what I say, but I also often engage in intellectual play. Thus, I don't feel the need to apologize to anyone if something I produce offends him or her--if you don't like it, stop reading it. However, criticism (constructive or otherwise) is always welcome.

As for the comparison between Bill O'Reilly and me, I can't say I disagree. There are times when I write in a voice somewhat like his. But I don't always write in that voice and I certainly don't usually talk like that in person. Face-to-face conversations are very socially different than snarky online banter. I really like experimenting with different writing voices.

Finally, I've never said all journalists should write the way I do. I think there's plenty of space for diversity in the modern digital media ecosystem. I'm just trying to find my niche.

No comments: