Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Radley Balko Explains My Views Better Than I Can

Read his whole post here, but this is how it starts out:
I’ve gotten quite a few emails and blog comments lately expressing frustration or disappointment or outrage that I haven’t attacked the Obama campaign with the same frequency or thoroughness that I’ve gone after McCain. Of course, when I do attack Obama, I get email accusing me of being in the tank for McCain. But I won’t feign balance, here. I have been far more critical of McCain than I have Obama. No question.

One reason is that I’ve found McCain’s campaign to be nastier, more blatantly dishonest, and more insulting to the collective intelligence than the Obama campaign. When I see Obama campaign commercials lamenting that women make only 70 cents on the dollar of what men make, or that “all of our jobs are going oveseas,” I roll my eyes. But though Obama may be wrong, I at least think he believes his own bullshit. That isn’t nearly as insulting to my intelligence as claiming that because a mostly barren corner of Russia can be seen from a remote Alaskan island, Sarah Palin has the foreign policy cred to be president, or that she’s the foremost expert on energy in the country.

The people angry by my disproportionate attention to McCain’s campaign, though, mostly accuse me of being biased, to which I can only say . . . yes, I am. I don’t think I’ve ever really pretended otherwise. I’ve made it clear on this site that (1) I plan to vote for Bob Barr, and (2) I hope the Republicans get clobbered next month. I am very clearly biased. And not in favor of Obama so much as against McCain. I make no pretense to objectivity.

This is exactly the blog post I've been intending to write for some time, but Balko's a better writer than I am. Anyway, everything that he said, that's how I feel.

So, yes, I want Obama to win. But, no, I'm not a Democrat and don't support most of their policy proposals. Unfortunately, some Republicans seem incapable of understanding such a nuanced stance--and that says a lot more about them than me.

It's entirely possible to be a fiscal conservative, a social liberal, and a foreign policy multilateralist simultaneously. I know, because that's what I am.

No comments: