Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Disturbing Commercials and What They Say About Our Society

I'm not quite sure what compelled me to write this post, but here goes.

I was watching TV earlier and I saw a commercial I've seen numerous times, yet haven't really taken the time to watch closely. This commercial was for a product called, "Listen Up," a personal sound amplifier. Now, I completely support this product and think the idea is relatively a good one. There are many people who have trouble hearing. The arguments for senior citizens who have difficulty hearing the minister in church and for the obnoxious TV volume adjuster are valid, I think.

But, another feature of this listening device is that it allows the user to "discreetly listen in" to conversations around them. At this point, I begin to question the rhetoric. "Oh, have you met the new neighbors?" Nosy Nancy from across the street gossips to fellow neighbor, Sally Smith, as neighbor Tina Newbie nods knowingly, listening device in hand as she checks her mail.

I really think one of the reviews for this product should read: "Way to capitalize on the people's need for sensationalist gossip, 'Listen Up.' Way to go!"

1 comment:

taco said...

Welcome to 2008 and the new media, Amanda.

Since at least the invention of the cell phone camera, it's no longer just the masterminds inside the CIA who can observe you if they choose to. And of course you can expect the technology of the cell phone camera and personal sound amplifier to continue to get smaller, more powerful, and more readily available quickly in a very short period of time.

If that makes you uncomfortable, you'd better change to an astrophysics major before it's too late, so you can invent that time machine and warp yourself safely back to 1895.